First and foremost, Emergency Contacts:
*National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 1-800-273-TALK (8255)
*LGBTQ Youth Suicide Hotline: 1-866-4-U-TREVOR
*Trans Lifeline: (USA)877-565-8860; (CANADA)877-330-6366
*LGBTQ Suicide Awareness, Prevention, and Support:
– Gender Spectrum: https://www.genderspectrum.org/
– PFLAG: https://www.pflag.org/
– LGBT Centers Directory: http://www.lgbtcenters.org/Centers/find-a-center.aspx
Here is a list of resources that have been very helpful to me on my journey to understand gender creativity.
My Recommended Books for Adults:
- Gender Born, Gender Made (Diane Ehrensaft, Ph.D.)
- The Gender Creative Child: Pathways for Nurturing and Supporting Children Who Live Outside Gender Boxes (Diane Ehrensaft, Ph.D.)
- The Transgender Child (Stephanie Brill and Rachel Pepper)
- Raising My Rainbow: Adventures in Raising a Fabulous Gender Creative Son (Lori Duron)
- Symptoms of Being Human – Fiction (Jeff Garvin)
My Recommended Books for Children:
- My Princess Boy (Cheryl Kilodavis)
- I am Jazz (Jessica Herthel, Jazz Jennings, & Shelagh McNicholas)
- Jacob’s New Dress (Sarah Hoffman, Ian Hoffman, & Chris Case)
- Red: A Crayon’s Story (Michael Hall)
- One (Kathryn Otoshi)
Books on My To-Read List:
- The Conscious Parents Guide to Gender Identity (Darlene Tando, LCSW)
- Raising Ryland (Hillary Whittington)
- She’s Not There: A Life in Two Genders (Jennifer Finney Boylan)
My Recommended Documentaries/Movies:
- For the Bible Tells Me So (My personal favorite documentary of all time)
- Paris is Burning (An oldie but a goodie. ADULT CONTENT, not appropriate for kids)
- Dallas Buyers Club (Inspired by true events. ADULT CONTENT, not appropriate for kids)
- Hedwig and the Angry Inch (Broadway musical, one of my favorites! ADULT CONTENT, not appropriate for kids)
- Southern Baptist Sissies (A Del Shores play that was adapted for screen, another one of my favorites! ADULT CONTENT, not appropriate for kids)
A Good List of Movies that Deal With Transgender Issues:
- https://www.genderspectrum.org/ Gender Spectrum helps to create gender sensitive and inclusive environments for all children and teens.
- https://www.pflag.org/ Founded in 1972 with the simple act of a mother publicly supporting her gay son, PFLAG is the nation’s largest family and ally organization.
- http://www.lgbtcenters.org/Centers/find-a-center.aspx Find your local LGBT Center.
- S.E.A.R.CH. (Safe Environment for the Acceptance of Rainbow Children) My Facebook group to connect families across the world who are raising gender non-conforming children, and their allies. This is a secret Facebook group, but I can add you if you send me a request and are willing to complete a short screening process.